Thursday, September 22, 2011

Ein Prosit! and the official end of summer

All right, I’m going to make this post short because I just found out I might be going to Berlin tonight by bus. The plans aren’t 100% yet, but you’ll definitely know if they work out. ☺

Ok. So here’s my Oktoberfest recap: a lot of people in lederhosen and dirndl, a lot of Australians (don’t ask me why), a lot of German drinking songs, a lot of giant pretzels, a lot of rides (although I didn’t get the chance to ride one and still am a little upset about it), and of course, a lot of delicious German beer. Since I was there for opening weekend I got the chance to hear the mayor’s speech and watch him tap the very first keg. As soon as he did everyone cheered and all the beer maids (all the Austrians called them beer wenches but I don’t know how PC that is) carried about 10 1L beers in their arms to tables of eager beer drinkers. They were actually pretty impressive to watch. There was also a big parade and people literally everywhere. There were so many beer tents it’d be impossible to visit them all. I did find my favorite beer at Oktoberfest, though: Paulaner. I think they have it in the US but it’s probably very rare and expensive. All in all, to be honest, Oktoberfest really is something any beer lover has to experience in his/her life. I met great people and had a great time. And the campsite was an awesome place to stay. Just remember to bring your own blankets!

Also, this week was my first week of real classes. I’m taking 5 total: Czech language, Modern Czech Art, Art and Architecture of Prague, Contemporary Czech Culture: Alternative Art, Music and Lifestyle, and Art Photography. All of my classes are at the CIEE study center in Vyserad except for Art Photography which is at Charles University. I really enjoy all my classes and they all apply to my major. On Wednesday, my Modern Czech Art class took a little field trip to a contemporary art gallery called The Golden Ring to see the After the Velvet exhibit. Being in there makes me want to change my career plans and take up art. I guess I can do both, right? After the exhibit, my Art and Architecture class also had a little field trip inside the Clock Tower where our teacher told us all about the different architecture. After the tour was over, we went underground underneath the clock to where Czech people used to live and keep prisoners long ago. It got a little hard to breath down there after a while due to my allergies, but it was still worth it.

Now that class has begun, it’s weird to think my summer has officially ended. The traditional last day of summer is September 23 so technically summer should always be this long. It’s been an interesting one, but I’m actually very excited to have to semester started.

Abschied (I picked up a little German at Oktoberfest),
Lesia

No comments:

Post a Comment