Monday, October 3, 2011

SLAVIA!!

Sorry I meant to post this Tuesday but my internet was pretty bad so it's gonna be a week late. Hope you're all not too upset!
-------
So I never made it to Berlin this weekend and instead spent my time in good ol’ Praha. Considering I was one of the four people on my program that didn’t go away for the weekend, I decided to do a little exploring around my city mainly alone. And I learned something very valuable: Mexican food in Prague is nothing like Mexican food at home, especially burritos. Friday I spent my evening at a Latino Food Festival. Though the music was fun, I’m not sure the 100 CZK entry fee was worth it.

On Saturday I made an excellent discovery. And, like many great discoveries, it happened by accident: I found out where to buy Gatorade and Powerade in Prague! After searching for weeks I managed to stumble upon both of them the same day. From what I know thus far, Gatorade can only be purchased at Subway and Powerade at any Relay located inside the metro. Yes! So proud of myself on that one.

But that’s not all for my Saturday. I also attempted to go to yet again another wine festival (surprise!). This festival was said to have primarily plum wine and other foods/beverages made from plumps. Well, I’d love to tell you it was an amazing time except for the fact that I never was able to find it. I searched all over Petrin (where it was said to be happening) and when I couldn’t find it I just decided to climb the tower. A very good decision:





Afterwards, after a quick glass of burck at the bottom of the tower, I left for a flea market on Americka street. Well, what was said to be a flea market turned out to be another Mexican food festival (arriba!). I learned my lesson the first time and didn’t buy any of the food, though I must admit it looked a lot better than the food on Friday. They also had hummus! The first time I’ve seen it in Prague! I also managed to watch the sunset near Charles Bridge.


Sunday was also relaxing, misleading and full of new discoveries. I was supposed to go to a “Pig Slaughter” (I hope it means what I think it does), but when I finally found the place the “slaughter” ended up being your average barbeque. Apparently it is the tradition in the Czech Republic to slaughter a pig every winter. However, as my Czech Buddy Bara puts it, pig slaughters are just an excuse for older Czechs to get very drunk. Since the Sunday slaughter wasn’t a traditional one, she invited me to the slaughter in her little village in Moravia. I’m not sure when it takes place, but some time in the middle of winter.

Overall, though, Sunday wasn’t a complete waste. The “slaughter” aka barbaque was held in Zlute Lazne which is actually a bar/beach. I’m glad I explored that area a bit because now I’m definitely returning for some tropical drinks and sand volleyball.

Also on Sunday I went to 2 art galleries with Bara: Museum of Young Art and an Architecture exhibit whose name I can’t really remember. Both exhibits were very interesting and I learned all about David Černý, famous controversial Czech artist and sculptor. His works are all over Prague and they’re actually quite amazing. I highly recommend looking him up to see some of his work!

The highlight of the whole weekend, however, was the Slavia versus Sparta fotbal game. I was told to cheer for Slavia by a number of my bias Czech friends and so I did. Well, my team lost 0-3. The game was still very exciting, despite Sparta’s not so PC cheers against Slavia. People got very rowdy; you should have seen the police. Some people even though it was a good idea to throw sparkles onto the field.





And today, I went Paddle Boating (for the second time actually, but this time I had my camera).




This coming weekend I have plans with Bara and Carly to drive to Vienna with Bara’s family for design week. Should be very interesting. Tell you all about it once I return.

Na Shledanou,
Lesia

No comments:

Post a Comment