Monday, October 10, 2011

A Hezký Víkend in Český Krumlov

A nice, relaxing weekend well spent in the beautiful small town known as Český Krumlov.

So this weekend was a CIEE trip to Český Krumlov in Bohemia. It was for the history classes, but I decided to go anyway because I’ve been hearing nothing but good things about the little town. And it was pretty picturesque.



The first day we walked around a bit, saw the castle and climbed to the top to get an aerial view of Český Krumlov. We watched a video inside the castle that showed pictures of how Český Krumlov looked like in the past. In my opinion, not much has changed. Český Krumlov reminds me
of a summer home that people visit to escape busy city life. Except extremely touristy. There were literally penzions (small, locally-owned hotels) on every street corner. Bara told me that in the summers her family would raft into Český Krumlov. And since it’s also located along the Vlata it is even possible to get to Český Krumlov from Prague. Overall it takes about 5 days, but I can imagine it’s pretty fun to just float and camp every night. I wish the weather were warmer/I wish I had 5 days to spare to enjoy a little adventure down the Vltava.


And afterwards we had free time in which my friends and I decided to do a little shopping (I finally bought a new pair a mittens which I’m very excited for). And afterwards we went to dinner at a place called Jail. Apparently, like the name cleverly suggests, it used to be a jail. It was decorated in a very medieval way that made me feel like I’ve gone back in time. They also cooked their meals on one large grill. I got the half chicken and it was delicious (but nothing will ever beat Oktoberfest chicken). When dinner was over we went to a little bar called Horror Bar. It was very Halloween appropriate complete with real life teenage Goth kids. They loved the Dracula room.




The next day we walked around a bit more in Český Krumlov, saw the old Baroque theater, the Photo Atelier Seidel exhibit, and the Egon Schiele Museum. My favorite part of the day, though, was my free time spent in the castle gardens. I also discovered another great beer in Český Krumlov: Eggenberg Dark. It’s like Guinness but maybe a bit better. Too bad it’s brewed only locally in Český Krumlov. I sadly may never encounter it again.

On Sunday we had a tour of the Bohemia Regent Brewery and headed back to Prague. It was good, but no Eggenberg.

And tonight is one of my friend’s birthdays so I’m off to I.P. Pavlova for dinner. I’m also going to Forum 2000 tomorrow so check out my blog in a few days to hear all about that.

Na Shledanou,
Lesia

No comments:

Post a Comment