Monday, December 12, 2011

Last Hurrah in Amsterdam

And one weekend was not enough. Having some hardcore Amsterdam withdrawals. I didn’t really use my camera much this weekend (even though I should have because Amsterdam is beautiful) so I’m sad to say there won’t be a “best photos” to this post.

Transportation: Easy Jet flight yet again!
Lodging: Amsterdam Hostel Sarphati. We booked it the night before. Not a highly recommended hostel, but it was cheap so I can’t really complain.
Travel buddies: Morris and Ryan
Hotspots visited: All the main squares, Van Gough Museum, Heineken Experience, Red Light District, etc. etc.
Favorite dish: All you can eat sushi. So worth 22 euros. I may be a poor college student, but when in Amsterdam… also, the french fries with mayo are amazing. Best fries in the world, I think.
Favorite drink: Belgian beer (specifically Kwak and La Chouffe) at Café Belgique! Oh yes, livin’ as the Belgians do in The Netherlands. I guess the Heineken at “The Heineken Experience” was pretty tasty, but nothing compares to Belgian beer.
Words I learned: Let’s just say a lot of people in Amsterdam speak English.
Facts I learned: Dutch people are giants. They are also awesome.
Closing remarks: Go to Coffeehouse Little if you’re ever in Amsterdam. And be chosen as a volunteer at a sex show (Oh, how I will never forget that crazy night). Also, rent a bike! We each rented bikes for the weekend and it was the greatest decision of the trip. Amsterdam is such a bike-friendly city, how could we resist? The only thing I would have done differently was not go to Amsterdam the second weekend in December. It was extremely cold. (I also would have stayed longer, but class and life prevented that). I need to go back again, definitely, especially when it’s warmer out.

It’s sad to say that this is going to be one of my last few posts for this blog. Seriously, where have the past four months gone? I leave Prague in less than two weeks and I’m definitely not ready for it. One semester in Europe is not long enough. I’m just going to try and not think about it. Prague is still my number one as far as favorite cities in Europe go, and it’s going to be hard to say goodbye. In Contemporary Czech Culture class the other day, my teacher showed us this quote:
“Prague never lets you go… this dear little mother has sharp claws.” –Franz Kafka
Well said, Kafka. Well said.

Na Shled for now,
Lesia

No comments:

Post a Comment