Sunday, December 18, 2011

Václav Havel

Many of you might not know who this man is. And to be honest, if you would have asked me about him four months ago, all I could tell you is that his name only sounded vaguely familiar. Living in Prague this past semester really taught me how amazing this man is. He was a Czech playwright, essayist, poet, and politician. The last president of Czechoslovakia and the first president of the independent Czech Republic to be exact. Yes, quite the Renaissance man. The reason I bring him up today is because, if you haven’t heard already in the news, he passed away this morning at age 75. There was a big memorial for him at Wenceslas Square today and in the midst of studying for finals I wasn’t sure if I was going to go. However, I know how extremely important this is. I guess I’ve gained a strange connection to the Czech people and a sense of Czech pride while living here that I hadn’t realized until today when I decided to go. I obviously never got the chance to meet Václav Havel, but I'm glad I got to see him speak at Forum 2000. The gathering at Wenceslas Square wasn’t as large as I had expected, but I did get there 45 minutes late so I probably missed the big crowd. There was a man speaking while a choir of people sang the Czech National Anthem among other songs. And a lot of people placing candles around the St. Wenceslas statue and the square. I could sense how much the Czechs loved him and regarded him as a national hero. RIP pan Havel, you will be missed by this entire nation.

No comments:

Post a Comment